Friday, February 18, 2005

Kevin White Mentioned at Earlies Gig

The Earlies, Hem and Martha Tilston at St. Georges Hall, Bristol 17.2.05

Oh, I did enjoy this evening. The Bristol musical cognoscenti - and, my word, they looked impressive with their furrowed brows and ironic, iconic fashion sense - were out in force for two of the most impressive bands around. To witness Hem and The Earlies on the same bill was really delightful; both acts play understated, intelligent music and, this should not be spake with embarrassment, good songs, good songs, good songs. Hem play alt.country apparently. Not an expression I relish but their offerings are tinged with a forlorn and melancholic Americana (I won’t use that word again) driven by pristine musicality (you simply can’t beat a steel slide gee-tar) and framed by Sally Ellyson’s soaring vocals. They sounded beautiful and my only regret was that they didn’t play too many numbers from the fragile Rabbit Songs long player. Playing newer stuff is laudable though but, heck, those Rabbit Songs are wonderful. I was, however, transfixed.

The Earlies were sensational. I’m playing These Were The Earlies as I pen this and I allow myself a wry smile as I contemplate my fine fortune at watching the merry band of minstrels in action last evening. Musicianship is the new rock ‘n’ roll and these boys can play. The only caveat is that musicianship must move the listener, create art and not just reach high levels of technical accomplishment. The Earlies succeed. They moved me. Sweeping and rather sweet harmonies, a touch of electronica, studied orchestration, beautiful melodies and ability to crank the amps up to eleven at the right moment: The Earlies manage all this and rely not an iota on image or cool. They simply play crafted music. I really admire them.

Martha Tilston was alright.

I note with interest that The Go-Betweens are playing the Birmingham Academy in May. I must spring into action and organise tickets as this band are probably the one act I need to see above all others. I could probably make a very fine case for them being the best pop band of all time.

After last night’s concert I asked S who he believed to be the worst Gloucester player of all time. I was unprepared for the onslaught that followed. I obviously touched a nerve and looked anxiously around the beatific surrounding of the St. George’s Hall as S let rip. Gentle concertgoers didn’t deserve an angry man in the corner ranting - quite coherently, it has to be said - about failed footballers. It was mainly wingers that raised the fellow’s ire: Tai Glassie, Dave Timmington, Raphael Saint-Andre, Mark Nicholson, Eral Anderson, Robin Saltmarsh. I had recently overheard S and C discussing, on the terraces, the paucity of former centre Ben Maslen’s all round skills so wasn’t surprised that he was on the hit list. There was a charming and unexpected mention for late-period Kevin White. What is it about Gloucester and wing three-quarters though? Answers on a postcard….

Andrew Hazell has signed a three year contract at Gloucester. This is fantastic news especially as the locally born loosie was being courted, it seems, by Sale. Gloucester will rise again.

Note: It you type ‘Tai Glassie’ into popular search engine Google, this humble weblog emerges as the second highest rated website. I find this wildly amusing.