Monday, July 20, 2009

And our talk was old and dust would flow


I salute the England cricket team. I confess I was despairing at close of play last evening. A not unexpected declaration had set the intrepid Australians a massive 522 to win the second Test Match but a tremendous sixth wicket partnership between the spirited Clark and Haddin had propelled the outfit from the Antipodes to an overnight score of 300-odd. The odds still favoured the home team but one should always fear the nuggety manner of the Southern Hemisphere side. At my pessimistic worst, I was convinced the Aussies would cruise to victory this morning. Unable to face the torture of the telecast, I hastened to a local supermarché for the first hour of play and committed myself to buy-one-get-one-free offers and the like while the English bowlers did their best at Headquarters. Nervously tuning into Test Match Special in the store’s car park proved a happy occasion as the two key batsmen who had started the morning had both been dismissed. On returning home I was able to watch the giddy scenes at Lord’s as the talismanic Flintoff and the wily Swann mopped up the last three wickets. England go one-up with three to play. This is the greatest sporting event in the world.

No comments: