Saturday, June 11, 2005

Undone by passion

It was a military style operation. I arose at 7.30 am then after feeding two ravenous cats I zoomed to the local shop for bread and newspaper before making breakfast of marmite and toast and steaming tea with which I sat down at 8.07 to enjoy the haka and the beginning of the Lions fixture against the Maoris. I timed it to precision but, alas, the red-shirted representatives of these isles let me down a tad. There seemed to be a lack of a game plan and a slight lack of passion whereas the Maori players attacked every ruck and maul, flew into every tackle, chased every ball as if their lives depended on it. Richard Hill looked anonymous and had his poorest international match for ages. I could be proved wrong but right now, the All Blacks have little to fear and would back them to take the series by a 3-0 margin. Frankly, they have to be firm favourites for the next World Cup too. With Dallaglio injured, part of me thinks that the need for a talisman dictates a phone call to Martin Johnson might be an idea. We need leaders and the New Zealanders would certainly fear and respect the former England skipper.

I am off to see the Star Wars film again tonight.