Friday, December 30, 2005

Hey Chick


Hetty and Bella, the two chickens that joined our family unit in August continue to go from strength to strength. Despite gloomy murmurings that they would cease laying during the winter months we are consistently presented with two large and delicious eggs each day. Being off work has enabled me to cook their favourite treat, spaghetti. I am convinced the daft things reckon they are knocking back the tastiest worms in Christendom as the strands hardly touch the sides as they force them down. They adore any form of pasta and enjoy rice – which we believe they think are really maggots – too. I am really fond of these beasts and feel tangible pride in them whenever I poach another pair of their ova.

Tomorrow I shall be at Kingsholm Stadium to cheer on the city against the league’s bottom club, Leeds Tykes. We should win this one especially after a reported fine second half against Wasps on Boxing Day. Confidence should be fairly high but it is slightly disappointing and lacking in ambition to be using a defeat as a springboard for greater things. I am yet to see the team lose this season as I rarely attend away fixtures but am yet to witness any real art from the side, especially in the back division. Hopefully the dream pairing of Tindall and Simpson-Daniel will start to click soon. Oliver Morgan has proved my player of the season thus far. I appreciate his head-up, intelligent runs and dedication to the cause. I rate him highly. The returning hero Mercier has yet to get the backs purring but I recall in our wonderful cup and league winning season three (?) years ago that we scored marvellous try after marvellous try – and that was with the rather predictable bash-through-the-middle centre partnership of Todd and Fanolua and Mercier. Perhaps it will all click soon. No matter. It will be great to meet up with folk and appreciate fine banter for an hour or three.

Yesterday afternoon I strolled around a chilly Gloucester for a few hours, wrapped up warm as toast and with the sunny sounds of Dr. Alimantado filling my ears and transporting me to warmer climes. A search for new trousers proved fruitless and I returned home with only a few library books and a pack of empty CD cases from Smiths to show for my efforts. A poor return indeed.