Friday, March 10, 2006

Libraries Gave Us Power


Is it unusual to get a little bit over-excited by the opening of a new library? I must confess I have watched the new Longlevens library being constructed over the course of the last year and have steadily become more thrilled as a stunningly designed building has taken shape. It finally opened earlier this week and is an absolute joy. There has been significant investment in new stock so the choice is wonderful, there are hundreds of decent CDs and DVDs to browse through, the kids’ section is spacious and bright while a big screen (showing Star Wars when I was in) dominates one wall. I know this sounds overblown but this place is going to seriously improve the quality of my life. I am sure the masses would disagree but a life-affirming building like this is precisely, precisely what I want my taxes invested in. Heaven.

Tomorrow shall be an adventure. My son and I are travelling by locomotive to the city of Cardiff where we shalt alight and stroll to the Millennium Stadium where a brace of tickets will admit us to the Wales against Italy match. I reckon Italy will fancy their chances against a stuttering Welsh side. I’m keen, naturally, to see Gloucester’s new signings, Bortolami and Nieto, in action for the Azzurri. A boyish part of me is looking forward to the train journey as much as the football.

No comments: