Saturday, March 11, 2006

Wales 18 - Italy 18



I do enjoy my trips to the Millennium Stadium. Today’s clash between Wales and Italy was high on endeavour and skill and rather exciting. It was obvious that 95% of the crowd had pitched up expecting a Welsh victory and were shocked by the discipline and proficiency of the visitors who deserved a draw and, possibly, a victory after a relentless period of pressure in the second half that rocked the home side. The Gloucester signings both showed up well although Nieto limped off injured in the first half. Bortolami appears to be a stunning signing; his all round game was superb and I noted his inspirational leadership qualities from close range. He’ll be great for the city.

Again I was heartened by the support for the Welsh; I was surrounded by real fans with not a prawn sandwich to be spotted all afternoon. The atmosphere was startling.

I bought Stephen Duffy’s re-released classic I Love My Friends in a smashing little Cardiff record shop called Spillers. Having played it once I can tell its English whimsy and soaring melodies will hit all the right spots. I downloaded the soundtrack to City of God last night and played it there and back on the train today. This is a sublime collection of Brazilian music, funky, catchy, swinging and sultry. I recommend it.

No comments: