Thursday, March 08, 2007

You’ve got to fight for what you want

Despite generally cocking the largest of snooks at nostalgia, I’m going to start a short mini-series tonight. Watching the Coles’ favourite television show (Dragons’ Den) a few days ago, a geezer called, of all things, Casey Jones made a brief appearance. I think he had invented a steriliser or something. This led to me trying to sing the theme song to Casey Jones which for those too young or too hip was a monochrome adventure series about an engine driver (Casey Jones by name) and his son (Casey Jones Jr. naturally). It was an American show and, if I recall correctly, appeared without a hint of self-consciousness in the school summer holiday mid-morning schedules. It possessed a smashing, upbeat and emphatically optimistic theme tune and it proved wonderful to watch again via the mighty, mighty YouTube. Excuse the pun, but my train of thought had me considering other kids’ TV themes of my past that have moved me and I ended up spending half an hour browsing through YouTube and rejoicing that I could hear many of my favourites whilst watching the various title sequences. I made a list so I wouldn’t forget them a day or so later. I’ll share them with you, gentle readers, a couple at a time and leave my favourite until last. I love my favourite theme so much that I’ve chucked the soundtrack to the series onto my Amazon wishlist.

For now, here is my first brace of wonderful children’s television themes. A knows how to imbed YouTube clips onto his weblog but I don’t. You will have to click the links.

When I was about six or seven or maybe younger, I adored, adored Banana Splits. I felt that these strange creatures were the coolest dudes around, living together in this hip pad, bumming around, driving golf buggies, playing pranks and generally having a ball. They were very American when being American still carried a slither of cool. The opening sequence to the show is hugely entertaining and I dare you not to tap your toes to the sounds.

Perhaps I’m wrong but I always thought The Flashing Blade, an adventure series set in 17th Century France was part of the Banana Splits*. But maybe I’m wrong. I don’t remember too much about the show but I always loved the theme tune especially the simple yet heroic sentiments contained within the lyrics.

*I was wrong. I was thinking of the cartoon version of The Three Musketeers.



No comments: