Sunday, June 03, 2007

Rotten device, I'll say it twice

Despite not believing for a nanosecond that there were/are seven ages of rock, I continue to enjoy the BBC series Seven Ages of Rock. Last night came Punk’s turn and despite not learning anything especially new - I have, after all, read and reread this – there were some above average talking heads (John Lydon, Glen Matlock, Mick Jones, Richard Hell) to offer insights into the era. I did learn that the riff from Pretty Vacant was stolen by Matlock from the Abba hit, S.O.S., and I did enjoy hearing of Patti Smith and band’s visit to the 100 Club to watch the Pistols where an enraged Rotten snarled accusations of hippiedom at them from the stage. The London/New York scenes were very different with the Americans being more arty, and the English more, I guess, political. The show strove to point this out with limited success; there was a lot to pack in. In a way, I’m looking forward more avidly to next week’s excursion into Heavy Metal territory, a subject I know little about and still peer at a little condescendingly. Maybe I shall be converted. But I doubt it.


I can't, for the life of me, explain how that strange little white rectangle appeared at the start of the text above. I can merely apologise for it.

No comments: