Thursday, August 09, 2007

Kingsholm


My annual pilgrimage to Kingsholm was made yesterday. Within the cooling shade of the ‘Shed Bar’, I casually handed the young female employee of the city club two hundred and twenty pounds sterling. In return, I received my season ticket allowing me entry to the forthcoming months of rugby football action. I left the stadium in contented mood. The muddied visage of Lord Alex Brown adorns the plastic front cover while, on the rear, Michael ‘Mike’ Tindell, Andrew ‘Andy’ Hazell and the young prince, James ‘James’ Simpson-Daniel are pictured in celebratory mood, ostensibly celebrating a five point scoring act. In two photographs, the honest toil of the forward pack and the exuberant verve of the three-quarter line are epitomised; it is my wish that both aspects of the sport are executed keenly this season by the most talented Gloucester squad the historic city has witnessed.

The stadium looked remarkable. The groundsman was mowing the pitch as I arrived and I derived pleasure from a most verdant and lush looking lawn. The new main stand is a most impressive and imposing looking project and behind each set of posts, the Buildbase Stand and the hospitality end appeared modern and eye catching. The popular side remains the old-fashioned popular side where ghosts from the past still bellow and howl and I look forward to strolling into it soon with all the excitement and expectation a new season brings.

No comments: