Monday, April 28, 2008

Epitome


I’m tempted by a hop-hip concert. Public Enemy are performing at Bristol Academy next month, proffering the entire It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back long player to an adoring public. This is an album I own – possibly one of the first dozen compact discs I ever purchased, thinking about it – and there was a period when I played it non-stop and admired its uncompromising and hard-hitting agenda. I have read nothing to suggest that it isn’t the original line-up playing Bristol so all the big names – Flav, D, X, Griff et al. – may be involved. It should be a huge occasion and I’m rather keen to attend.

The only previous occasion I’ve stood in a hop-hip crowd was at the ATP Festival in Camber Sands back in 2004. Young Dizzee Rascal produced a raw set to a small but packed arena that was hailed in the end-of-year round-ups as ‘the’ hop-hip event of that twelve month period. I remember being mildly engaged but couldn’t help feeling bothered that I was missing The Tindersticks who were strutting their elegant stuff elsewhere. If I recall, Har Mar Superstar came on after the self-styled rascal and blew the bleeding house down with his exhilarating antics.

No comments: