Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Shell Of Light


The Klaxons, an act I regard as insignificant and humdrum, won the Mercury Music Prize last year and I lost some faith in an award I had grown to respect. Happily, my spirits have been raised this afternoon by a rather more consequential and interesting list of nominees for the 2008 gong. In my opinion, all bets are off; Radiohead and their sublime In Rainbows shall succeed at a canter. However, I’m thrilled that the mysterious and haunting Rachel Unthank and the Winterset’s The Bairns, the witty and catchy Stainless Style by Neon Neon, and the earnest and esoteric Do You Like Rock Music? by British Sea Power have found favour with the nominators. A couple more of my favourite recordings are mentioned too. Robert Plant and Alison Krauss’s Raising Sand is a very special collection of songs while Burial’s dark and menacing soundscapes on Untrue are worthy of inclusion. I’d be more than happy for any of the long players I’ve noted to take the prize but, to counteract last year’s unimaginative and mainstream choice, I would be most satisfied if that Burial fellow triumphed.

No comments: