Monday, March 21, 2005

A hand-me-down dress from who knows where

I’m not exactly pining and whining but I am examining with great interest the line-up for this Easter’s All Tomorrows Parties festival and sort of wish I was going again. If for no other reason than historical curiosity I’d quite fancy seeing Yoko Ono on stage doing her art-shock stuff. Sean Lennon is playing as well and I believe he trades in a kind of art-rock thang - and fair play, he doesn’t need the work does he? Heaven knows what the Ono-Lennons will make of Camber Sands Pontins but I hope, verily, they’re not stopping over in a chalet like the one we dwelt in last year. Plenty of other acts catch the eye. John Foxx who used to be in Ultravox before they were naff would have been worth a look and Suicide are one of those groups, pivotal by all accounts but I don’t recall hearing a single thing by. I would love to see Prefuse 73 - a very intelligent band, full of great sounds and unusual ideas and soundscapes. Next year perchance. Last year was a fabulous weekend and staying up ‘til 5am on the Saturday night remains one of my key achievements of 2004. I can still do it. And by going down the front for Har Mar Superstar, C proved he can still do it too.

I’ve been playing Burning Spear’s Marcus Garvey in the car. What a blissful recording, so pastoral and evocative. The first 20 seconds of Jordan River is just the most sublime reggae arrangement imaginable and I never tire of hearing it. From a rugby perspective, although I'm aware the lyrics of the title track, ‘Catch them Garvey, catch them’ refer to bringing betrayers of Marcus Garvey to justice but I can’t help thinking of our hapless wing three-quarter flapping at high balls aimed in his direction.