Friday, November 17, 2006

Something for the Weekend

After the delights of Amsterdam last week and the excitement of the jet-setting continental gig lifestyle, it is rather pleasant to anticipate a more relaxing weekend. After a splendid takeaway of the Chinese variety, I think I shall take to my bed early this evening, chuck some music - maybe the new Joanna Newsom album which I'm gradually getting slightly obsessed with - on my headphones and do a bit of reading. I’m really getting into Black Swan Green by David Mitchell and, unusually for me, I’m appreciating the use of a child as narrator, in this case a stutterer called Jason who lives just up the road in Worcestershire. Tewkesbury got a mention in the last chapter. The 1980s references are rather jolly too and I’m particularly valuing the rather bleak look at adolescence that the book offers. I used to be a teenager once.

Tomorrow rugby football beckons – the union code naturellement. The city club hosts the Wasps of London and with the Cherry and Whites still unbeaten in league endeavour, this shall prove a stern test despite our visitors being harder hit by international call-ups. Of course, the corresponding fixture last term was a classic even though Gloucester were defeated and Saturday will be a marvellous chance to gain some revenge. The youngster Lamb appears to be hitting some form at last and I’m keen to see the classy centre pairing of Tindall and Allen in action again. I predict a fairly comfortable victory for the home side and a first winning bonus point of the campaign.

No comments: