Saturday, July 14, 2007

A chance to watch, admire the distance


I’m not going to wish the summer away (‘What summer!?’ I hear ye exclaim reasonably affectionately but with the merest hint of venom) but I’m coyly admiring the list of films that the remarkable and doughty Gloucester Guildhall Arts Centre will be showing this autumn. As ever, a few highlights stand out. The Shane Meadows feature This Is England kicks off September and I’m keen to watch this (apparently) evocative portrayal of the skinhead movement of the 1980s. The Australian feature Jindabyne has picked up plenty of very favourable reviews and, despite that dreary Bono Vox specimin appearing in it, the Scott Walker documentary 30th Century Man should be worth striding purposefully out for. And being a lover and student of the popular beat combo known as Joy Division, I’m looking forward to the Ian Curtis biopic Control immensely. Plenty of other decent stuff is on too. Salutations.

No comments: