Thursday, June 01, 2006

Living is easy with eyes closed

The latest Mojo Magazine is a corker featuring a piece on The Beatles’ 1966 opus, Revolver as well as the 101 (why not 100?) best Beatles songs chosen by a large panel of expert-texperts. All this Beatledom was, frankly, right up my street. Before I opened the edition I was keen to guess the Top Three and I was nearly right; A Day in the Life and Strawberry Fields Forever exotically claimed numbers one and two as predicted but my choice for third best song, I am the Walrus only came 38th. Goo goo gajoob. Yesterday was third in the list, by the way. One glaring omission, for me, was Baby You’re a Rich Man from the Magical Mystery Tour soundtrack, a Lennon swipe, I believe, at the hippy generation. It remains a wonderful song that should have made the final list, especially as so many dull-in-comparison early Beatlemania era numbers did sneak in. Anyhow, here is my top ten that will probably change tomorrow:

1. A Day in the Life
2. Strawberry Fields Forever
3. I am the Walrus
4. Penny Lane
5. For No One
6. Eleanor Rigby
7. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
8. Hey Bulldog
9. Hey Jude
10. Happiness is a Warm Gun


Two songs in a row starting with the word, 'Hey'. Hey.

No comments: