Saturday, January 14, 2006

Balcony Scene

A busy week so little time to attend to this site. B emailed to tell me that he’d sorted out a pair of tickets for Ryan Adams next month. They are balcony seats which led me to consider the last time I sat in a balcony for a concert. I think it may have been at the same venue – Bristol’s Colston Hall – for a mighty, and unprecedented, double bill of The Blue Aeroplanes and John Martyn. If memory serves, Helen Lederer compared and it was a charity event. I have been playing ‘29’, the new Adams album this week. It really is rather gorgeous. The song Night Birds is my favourite track of the year so far – so delicate and haunting.

Gloucester defeated Bucharesti this afternoon, picking up a four-try bonus in their closer than predicted 27-13 victory. Next week’s home match will decide the spoils in Gloucester’s group. The visitors Bayonne stand four points behind the city so could conceivably top the mini-league with a large win but I would anticipate a home victory and a resulting home quarter- (and semi-?) final for the lads.

I think I like the Arctic Monkeys.