Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Live Experience

I look forward to attending a gig or two in the New Year with a few impending treats to warm the heart during these dark post-Christmas days. In April the mighty Calexico are playing Bristol Academy along with Iron and Wire. Having seen the ‘lex a couple of times I know that will be a great show with wonderful musicianship and the finest of songs. Ryan Adams at the Colston Hall is in February – that should be wonderful. The guy is a huge talent and I find myself returning to his albums again and again. As discussed with D and S on the Kingsholm terrace at the weekend, Adams’ solo debut Heartbreaker is a masterpiece of intelligent and emotive songwriting but all his recordings hit the mark. Another great songwriter is Martin Stephenson and he will, I hear, be playing Gloucester Guildhall in May. I last saw Stephenson at Sheffield Leadmill in 1992 and am keen to see the fellow perform again. The Fall website indicates a few recently added British gigs this spring so I shall keep a close eye on developments there.