Monday, January 23, 2006

Dear Old Vicks

The injury news regarding Phil Vickery and his troublesome back is most distressing. The self-styled ‘raging bull’ has been in immense form for the city recently and was contributing so much to the tight exchanges as well as rampaging round the park like a demented loose forward when he found the ball in his mighty paws. The fine form the team has found itself in has been due in no small way to the Vickster’s example and leadership qualities. Obviously there are insurance implications to him staging another comeback and the few reports I have read have seemed a touch bleak. I just hope the fellow makes a miraculous recovery but I’m not holding my breath. The prop forward has his knockers (to coin a phrase) but I consider him to be Gloucester through and through. He understands the club more than most, appreciates its history and expectations, and nods respectfully to legends who have pulled on the famous shirt before him. Despite what some say, I believe he loves the Gloucester shirt as much, if not more, than the white one of Albion. If he has played his last game for the cherry and whites, I’ll be genuinely upset. The guy is a hero.

No comments: