Friday, April 21, 2006

Ruin

I have been playing Garden Ruin, the new Calexico album in preparation for tomorrow night’s concert in Bristol. I must say that my feelings generally match that of The Guardian’s reviewer who notes its stripped-back sound which is underpinned by the fine songwriting one would expect from the band. Comparisons are also made to Crowded House which worried me at first but on hearing I could appreciate the similarity while quietly enjoying the plaintive melodies that suggest the Finn Bros’ more mature moments. Garden Ruin is a charming collection of songs and I recommend it.

I am sad to see Phil Vickery leave the Gloucester club. I have watched him grow up really, from a coltish teen galloping around the turf to the established international, every inch the elder statesman – but with that coltish teen never far from the surface. At the end, the sums just didn’t add up and, as a supporter paying his annual dues, I can understand that the return of ten or so games a year on a mighty salary could no longer be justified. I wish him well though. Few players have shown Vickery’s amount of energy and passion over recent years. He surely merits 'Kingsholm Legend' status. Good luck, Phil – and thank you.

No comments: