Wednesday, December 26, 2007

IDM



By Jupiter, I have grown mightily fond of Sound of Silver, the fun, funky and far-out long player by LCD Soundsystem. I first wrote about it in the month of Augustus and despite an array of aural temptations assaulting my senses and leading me away from its charms and riddims, I still continue to spin it and love it. It is playing right now and I feel like scampering from this keyboard and attempting some kind of frantic robotic dance to its hypnotic grooves and upbeat pulse-beats. But I won’t. Instead I shall dwell on the record’s ability to chuck one great, great song after the other at the listener, moving songs, funny songs, uplifting songs, witty songs, all driven by intelligent and irrepressible music tracks. The resulting hybrid of New Order’s grandeur, Talking Heads’ wired magnetism and a lickle bit of everythin' from Blondie’s Rapture to Human League’s Being Boiled to D. Bowie’s Sound and Vision makes for a fabulous and fulfilling fifty-odd minutes. It is this website’s Album of the Year by a fairly lengthy margin and I salute it with warmth and affection.


Mrs Cole took the above photographs.


The 2007 Top Five is listed below in its entirety. The links take the reader to pages on this weblog where these long players were originally mentioned.


1. LCD Soundsystem – Sound of Silver

2. Radiohead – In Rainbows

3. Field Music – Tones of Town

4. The Aliens – Astronomy For Dogs

5. Gruff Rhys - Candylion

No comments: