Monday, May 26, 2008

That ain't no etch-a-sketch...


A while away from here. I’m embarrassed to note that I have reported suffering from a migraine a dozen times on these pages. This seems a touch self-obsessed and I apologise. Howe’er, I shall make it a baker’s dozen today. I do not have too many of the blighters but, when they do strike, they appear to be growing more nasty as the years pass. Last Thursday morning, a migraine began but it wasn’t until 36 hours later that I felt most unwell, achy, breaky and utterly fatigued. I also picked up a chill so I haven’t been at my best for three or four days.

I’m viewing quite a few feature films on my information pod. I do feel a touch guilty that I haven’t been listening to as much music as usual as a result; maybe the novelty of watching cinema on my ickle screen will wear off soon. Anyhow, Juno was a delight and I recommend it with ebullience and effervescence. This is the tale of a teenage pregnancy, told with style, wit and total warmth. The dialogue is droll and sharp and the characters are rich, quirky yet believable. I’ve also seen a pair of films based on novels that are close to my heart. Love in the Time of Cholera was based on the sumptuous tome by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and proved a delicious couple of hours. The feature manages to successfully convey the mysticism and magic of the book, the sweeping South American settings, so enchantingly described by the author, more than satisfactorily captured for the viewer. The story is gorgeous and unusual, at times heart-wrenchingly sad, occasionally humorous, often uplifting, always compelling. Brick Lane was faithful to the Monica Ali novel too and I appreciated the feature’s juxtaposition of bleak east London streets with the pastoral beauty and colour of the Bangladeshi village from which the main character hails. File under 'Watchable'.

I was at Kingsholm Stadium yesterday watching Bath take on Worcester in the final of the European Challenge Cup. My cousins support Bathmy own flesh and blood! – so I stood with them and watched the match as a neutral. For the first time ever at the proud old arena, I watched the tie from behind the posts, at the historic ‘tump end’. Viewing end-on was very different and a touch more enjoyable than I anticipated. The spectator spots gaps more quickly I reckon and one feels closer to the action when a team is attacking the line nearest to one’s vantage point. It was not an unpleasant experience although I look forward to being in the ‘popular side’ again next time, especially with the famed cherry and white shirts running out to do battle. I missed the sensation of utter partisanship among the yellow and blue shirts, flags and banners yesterday.

No comments: