Monday, February 27, 2006

Flat-Packed Furniture

I don’t really want to bang on and on about last week’s Ryan Adams concert but it actually put me off listening to music for a few days. Yesterday, however, while I gleefully constructed an item of flat-packed furniture I listened to Adams’ ‘Heartbreaker’ and ‘Cold Roses’ albums. This was the musical equivalent of climbing back on one’s bicycle after tumbling off. It was reassuring to hear how marvellous these recordings sounded and, despite his failings in the live arena, what astounding songs he has composed over the years. He is forgiven.

There are a couple of albums I desire. The new Durutti Column album harvested a really fine review in last Friday’s Guardian, prompting me to play their soaring – and superbly named – debut, ‘The Return of the Durutti Column’. The opening track, Sketch for Summer is, frankly, as good as ambient guitar music gets. This remains, after 27 years, outstandingly beautiful music. A re-release has caught my eye also. Stephen Duffy’s ‘I Love My Friends’ has been heralded within the media as a lost treasure full of staggering pop moments.

This month’s Mojo hit the doormat on Friday. I’ve saved if for this week but there is plenty I long to read with articles on Wire, Van Morrison, Pink Floyd and Morrissey to pour over. The free CD features bags of sixties Psychedelic gems and I can’t wait to hear it.

No comments: