Friday, May 12, 2006

A Key Signing

Iain Balshaw has joined the city club from Leeds and I salute the move and welcome a man who could make a considerable impact to our side. I guess there have been a couple or three fallow years for Balshaw who, on his own admission, stagnated at Bath before his injury-ridden sojourn up north. At his best he was a clinical finisher and a graceful, elusive runner who could make yard after yard while making the whole process look so simple. I can never forget the headstart Byron Hayward had over him to run back and field a loose ball near the Gloucester line; Balshaw had 50 metres to sprint compared to Hayward's 30 but won the race with plenty to spare and scored a try that is etched in my mind for, a few years on, mainly comedic reasons. If this player can return to anything like his top form while remaining free of injury, we have signed a nugget. I like the fact he can play full back as well as wing too. Strength in depth. Hurrah! We need to sign a tighthead prop forward next. And then, I reckon, world domination will commence.

No comments: