Sunday, January 23, 2005

Challenging lo-fi electronica

I have heard not a note of their music but I like the idea of Fotomoto, a band who play ‘shimmering dream-pop’, hail from the Ukraine, and were discovered by dear old John Peel last year. This article from today’s Observer Music Monthly paints a bleak picture of the alternative music scene in the former Soviet state. Pirating of Western tripe is rife while non-conformism is unusual and mainly exists of death metal and a folk music style called chanson that celebrates the criminal underworld. Fotomoto seem to stand beatifically above all that and I shall certainly investigate them more.

Alas, one is unable to order any Fotomoto via Amazon and the only way to get hold of their stuff is to email a geezer in Stoke-on-Trent. I have, however added three CDs to my Amazon wish list today, none of which have yet been released. Heck, I’m so cutting edge. They are the forthcoming albums by Athlete, LCD Soundsystem and Lemon Jelly. I also added an MP3 player to my extravagant collection of earthly desires, an ickle Zen Micro. I have fallen prey to the powers of advertising. They look so cute. I really want one. But which colour?

It’s the draw for the Powergen semi-finals tomorrow and there seems to be the possibility that it won’t be neutral venues. Having never seen Gloucester win a home semi - yet lose plenty, mainly to Bath - perhaps I shouldn’t hope for a Castle Grim extravaganza but, of course, I do. For those who cannot wait until tomorrow evening I have conducted my own randomly generated draw: Gloucester vs. London Irish and Bath vs. Leeds. So, a Gloucester/Bath final beckons. Actually, ever pragmatic, I would probably say that Gloucester facing Bath at Kingsholm represents the city’s best chance of winning the whole darned thing and would let the Cherry and Whites avenge a fistful of semi-final horrors against the shamateur toffs.

During a lull in yesterday's play, I suggested to S that we formed a challenging lo-fi electronica duo along the lines of Autechre or Boards of Canada. We would call ourselves Seti Kiole and be terribly obtuse and high brow. Of course, this will never actually happen. But I did browse Ebay for synths earlier just in case.