Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Join the (American Music) Club

S has got a ticket for me to see American Music Club at Birmingham Academy next month. I did enjoy the AMC’s earlier albums with their world weary, laconic lyrics and, at times, stirring melodies on, especially Engine and California both of which, incredibly, were released during the 1980s. Last year the band came back onto the scene with Love Songs for Patriots which I own (a signed copy no less) but have not played a great deal. On first hearing it seemed a little one paced and, dare I say, dull but I should give it another chance perhaps. With Gang of Four coming up along with the eccentric, nay whimsical, Lemon Jelly in March and Mick Jones/Tony James at The Guildhall I have plenty of live acts to look forward to. S is lobbying me to see the reformed Wedding Present at the Bristol Fleece and Firkin too and S2 is keen - as am I - to go and see those lovable mockneys Athlete at Bristol Academy.

Three days to the ‘miracle match’. If only! Simpson-Daniel is considered doubtful for the game with his surgeon rather reticent about letting the wunderkind loose. Melville seems to agree - a case of slamming the stable door after the horse has bolted methinks. One of my favourites, Duncan McRae, is likely to play and we will need the little genius to wear the ten shirt if we are to have any chance of upsetting the odds. His guile, poise and Aussie grit might just prove the difference between qualification and disappointment.