Saturday, January 22, 2005

The Magic of the Cup

The Fall documentary, eagerly anticipated, contained plenty of fantastic clips but I’m not convinced I actually learned anything dramatically new about Mark E Smith and his assorted sidekicks. I found the figure of Martin Bramagh quietly fascinating although he merited little mention in the programme. Here is the one figure in the history of the band who once shared, in the early days, joint artistic control with Smith. He returned after the break-up of Smith’s marriage to Brix and obviously there were difficulties then. I wanted to hear more. It was fine to watch hardy and loyal Steve Hanley being interviewed and the early zeal of Marc Riley and his candid, good-humoured accounts of being treated rather shabbily were interesting too. All in all I enjoyed the latter clips of the Peel Session rehearsals and the London gig from last year, around the time I saw them, on sparkling form, at Bristol. I note they’re touring in March and hope for a local concert. This is a cool group. This is a cool group.

I am grateful to D and A for the surprise video they passed on to me after the game: a copy of the 1982 Gloucester vs. Moseley cup final, a dour but tense drawn affair that I sat down and watched on my return from Kingsholm this afternoon. It was the Rugby Special highlights show with Nigel Starmer-Smith in full V-necked jumper glory absolutely desperate for the city club to lose. It was fine to watch old heroes trotting around looking very young. Paul Taylor, my old favourite, looked a thoroughbred in the centre as usual while Malcolm Preedy, Mike Teague and John Gadd were livewires in attack and showed why they would have thrived in the professional era. I enjoyed the delirious pitch invasion at the end especially as C and I were part of it but sadly I was unable, despite freeze frame antics, to locate the pair of young scamps who were enjoying their first trip to HQ that day.

Gloucester 21 - Bristol 0
I am content that Gloucester have reached the Powergen Cup semi-final and, ultimately, the result was everything today. The demons of last week are not yet exorcised but at least we ‘nilled’ our worthy, keen opponents and provided if not passages of fine play then at least some glimpses of decent endeavour. Seti Kiole had his best game for the club and made one barnstorming run in the second half that left a trail of defenders in the Tongan man-monster's wake. I believe Jake Boer deserves a mention for a hardworking display while it was a toss-up between a determined Andrew Hazell and a cool headed Duncan McRae for man of the match. The BBC award went to a member of the losing team, Jim Brownrigg. If he was that mighty why did his team fail to score? The award was, I believe, a calculated insult towards the Cherry and Whites. Today’s result was never in doubt but next week’s visitors, Worcester will not be such a pushover. This is just what the club needs, a series of tests that gradually grow in severity as we approach the ‘business end’ of the season. Any win next Saturday is crucial.