Friday, January 28, 2005

Points to prove

With Bath playing at Wasps tomorrow and Saracens defeating Newcastle this evening, a win for Gloucester will propel the club to fourth place in the Premiership. Such a high position would prove an enormous fillip for the city but Worcester are no pushovers and in Delport, Gillies and Windo have three players with huge points to prove on their return to Kingsholm. Delport should never have been allowed to leave Kingsholm, Windo was axed controversially, and, in my opinion, correctly, by Saint-Andre, while Gillies made little impact in his short time at the club but, I believe, deserved a longer contract. Worcester will prove a cussed side and with the canny Andy Keast calling the shots will be well drilled and slick. The Gloucester old heads will need all their experience if Gloucester are to continue rising from the doldrums and sneak a win. Vickery, Boer, McRae and Gomarsall all need huge games. It will be mighty close and I will settle for any win.

I haven’t played any reggae for a while and may put that right this weekend. I shall dust down one of my Trojan collections and it shall guide me as I trawl through all the work I need to do on the computer this weekend.

S called and is still raving about Gang of Four. It was a remarkable evening, twenty-five year old songs sounding utterly contempory and at the sharpest of cutting edges. I played ‘Anthax’ earlier this evening and it sounds unlike anything in my CD collection. Compelling and, it has to be said, almost dangerous. I searched for the lyrics earlier because I was desperate to know what Andy Gill mumbles as a backdrop to Jon King’s main vocal. This is what I found.