Monday, January 10, 2005

Prefab Sprout in Hummable Chorus Shock

Perhaps I shouldn’t have chided the ‘hummable chorus’ yesterday as for a few days my motor car has been shimmering gently as hummable chorus after hummable chorus has floated ethereally out of the stereo. I have reacquainted myself with Prefab Sprout’s Andromeda Heights which sounds absolutely gorgeous to the extent that I’m thinking the unthinkable and starting to consider it better than Swoon, Steve McQueen and even the forgotten classic Protest Songs. I’m all for the clever, well-crafted popular song and here are twelve that include that rare tenet: the ability to move the listener. Beautiful. Hummable choruses are back in.

To progress to the last eight in Europe Gloucester have to beat Stade Francais on Sunday, gain a bonus point, deny Stade one and score three tries more than their rivals. I must stop thinking positively about this because I shall end up mightily disappointed. However, today I have more than once contemplated the tendency for - how shall I phrase this? - the more continental outfits to press the self destruct button at times. Gloucester have roughly a one chance in six on Sunday by my reckoning. If we manage to pull it off it will rate as one the great occasions at Kingsholm Stadium.