Friday, April 01, 2005

The cat's whiskers


Talking of thinking one is the cat’s whiskers, my heart sank the day before I left for France. Strolling casually down Eastgate Street I noticed Christo Bezuidenhout shambling up the road towards me. Oh heck. No clothes horse he. Clad in flip-flops, South African team joggers and a tee shirt he fitted in well among the bargain hunting hordes of Gloucester. After he had passed – and I kept my head down – I glanced over my shoulder to watch the open-toed behemoth admiring his reflection fondly in the BHS window. I felt for him. I wish it hadn’t ended this way.

Perhaps it is the feeling of spring in the air, perhaps it is foolhardiness on my part but I am beginning to feel a little more optimism about the city club. The away win against London Irish helped as the victory, admittedly ugly, was achieved without prima donnas but with a collective that cared for the club, the badge and the shirt and, by all accounts, were giving it everything irrespective of individual contractual positions and reputation. It cheered me. Little things make me feel better. Shane Drahm (over-rated) being signed by Worcester (a nasty little club) means that Ludovic Mercier is more likely to sign for Gloucester and I have resigned myself to the view that Gloucester RFC needs his booming peg and accurate place kicking next season. A piece in today’s Citizen talking up the talents of new teen centre Anthony Allen renders me further pleased. The article also mentions Ryan Lamb and, having seen him play, I am fully aware of the lad’s incredible talents. All small things but they have improved my mood. I wasn’t at the Northampton match but nothing brings me more sorrow than knowing that people aren’t giving 100% in a Gloucester shirt.