Monday, February 21, 2005

36 Months

I am thrilled that two of Gloucester’s key players have signed new deals. Andy Hazell and ‘Lord’ Alex Brown embody professionalism for me. The pair rarely, if ever, have poor games, always put 120% (this year's 110%) into all aspects of their game and are true ambassadors for our great club. My pleasure that folk are signing three year deals is unbounded. Surely this indicates a desire to keep important players at the club as long as possible and to bed down a backbone to a smashing team and squad. I note that along with Hazell and Brown, Mike Tindall, Terence Sigley and Peter Buxton have all signed three year contracts. Hurrah!

One job is for Melville to find a big, ugly dude to partner Brown but I would like the number 15 shirt to be filled satisfactorily for next season too. I would retain Goodridge as a squad player and I admit he has enjoyed a decentish run of late. I just feel other teams don’t fear the nipper who isn’t quite of the class required for an aspirant top-three side. Reports that Percy Montgomery may be leaving Newport are interesting. He would prove a shrewd signing for the city. I know I would welcome the Springbok’s experience and attacking verve in the famous stripes and will watch the situation with interest. We seem to be linked with so may players at moment, a vast improvement on the past couple of years when the club has not been able to recruit as powerfully as many of us would like.