Monday, February 14, 2005

All those whose mind entitles themselves...

I downloaded a whole album off an internet website today and, verily, it is a lovely treat. I have been browsing, somewhat gleefully, a Fall website, not the superb official one, but a statto’s dream called The Fall’s Track Record. This has been lovingly compiled and includes loads of information that I didn’t really want to know until I logged on for the first time, last night. For example, all The Fall song writing credits are searchable via databases, one can learn where and when the first time each Fall song was played live as well as all the songs that the band has recorded but never played in concert. Every song the band has ever created has been listed alphabetically with bags of information about each and there is also a section listing John Peel’s Festive 50 entries. It inspires awe. I was almost moved to tears - but not quite, ok? - to ascertain the knowledge that I, and numerous comrades of no fixed hairstyle witnessed the first ever live playing of Twister at Cheltenham Town Hall in 1987. I can’t believe the band has played neither Vixen nor The Steak Place live. Uncanny.

Anyhow, back to that download. A lot of Fall message board regulars decided to produce a loving tribute to, for me and many others, The Fall’s finest long player, This Nation’s Saving Grace. Various individuals and groups, including Fall tribute band (yes, there is one!) The Hideous Replicas, took a track each and recreated it in their own style. It works. This is a labour of love and that helped, obviously, as does the sense one has that those involved all have talent aplenty. There are less guitars than the original but the new versions are intricate and multi-layered and use electronics warmly and intelligently. I particularly enjoyed a rousing Paintwork and an earnest Gut of the Quantifier but all tracks are worthy of mention and I salute the project wholeheartedly. You even get a cracking CD cover as part of the download. I’m just thrilled that people are channelling their creativity in this way in this day and age. It gives me hope, it really does.