Thursday, February 03, 2005

Folk 3

Fairport Convention at Tewkesbury Roses Theatre

I can’t remember the last time I sat down for a gig. It was probably over ten years ago, maybe Christy Moore at Cheltenham Town Hall? It actually felt strange sitting last night for Fairport Convention but I enjoyed the comfort. Perhaps I’m getting old. Actually I sat down at The Tindersticks’ St. George’s Hall gig last year so my memory appears to be as decrepit as my creaking limbs. I did enjoy the sound last night. I guess I’m used to white boys (usually four of them) playing guitars so white boys playing mandolins and fiddles was interesting. It was a great noise though, quite heavy at times and unrelenting in the nicest possible sense - a sort of folk rock wall of sound. Anyhow, there were smashing versions of Crazy Man Michael, Matty Groves and Si Tu Dois Partir, one or two really pleasant instrumentals and a very moving encore of Meet at the Ledge. Being used to Mark E Smith summarily abusing the members of his band on stage I found the camaraderie and general bonhomie rather engaging. The band were an object lesson in gentle tolerance and wit and this warmed the soul. I’m playing and quietly enjoying the Liege & Lief album as I write this but I know I’ll soon return like a moth to a flame to humourless Caledonians playing bleak electronica and pasty faced angular art-rockers who snarl at all that verse-chorus-verse malarkey. Last night was a welcome glimpse at a different musical landscape and it did move me.

I’m still thinking about Gloucester RFC and in no particular order: i. Ludovic Mercier’s potential return; ii. the possible signing of Michael Tindall; iii. the 'James Forrester situation' and iv. whether or not Andrew Gomarsall will remain at the club. These are the main topics fighting for room in my brain. My current thoughts, in order, are i. Ambivalent but I happily recall us winning trophies with the guy in our team albeit with a bigger pack in front of him; ii. Oh, I hope so; iii. Hmmm, I quite like our back row as it stands and their hard work in trying times deserves recognition; and iv. Not if he’s asking for too much dosh and, besides, I like the sound of Haydn Thomas of the Exeter club.