Sunday, February 27, 2005

Acceptable Result

Newcastle 27 - Gloucester 27
A rare draw and a result I would have happily accepted before kick-off especially as Gloucester secured a rare four try haul (only the third of the season) and acquired a useful three points from the fixture that cascades the city club to fourth place in the league. Disappointingly a missed conversion cost Gloucester a win and the full five points and I hope the lads don’t rue this too much come the end of the season. By all accounts Luke Narroway had a stormer on the flank in place of Jamie Forrester who has picked up a rib injury; I do appreciate the young talent we have waiting in the wings and would love to see Olly Morgan. Ryan Lamb and James Merriman given a similar chance as Narroway before long. Well, we now have Northampton, Leeds and Saracens at home and London Irish and Sale away and I can think of tougher runs-in for the club. I would feel confident of picking up three home wins and, maybe, one away victory and this might prove enough for fourth place in the league and European qualification that is so crucial for morale and coffers. A Powergen Cup victory would prove a more exhilarating route to Europe and I would relish a home win against Bath next weekend, especially as (famous last words…) I would fancy Gloucester to beat either Leeds or London Irish in a Twickenham final.

I don’t really care two hoots about England and am pleased that Ireland beat them today to make this year’s championship rather exciting with both the Irish and Welsh chasing long overdue Grand Slams.