Monday, February 07, 2005

Tind, er, sticks with Gloucester

I’m thrilled that Mike Tindall has joined Gloucester. Supporting the city always requires a fair amount of lateral thinking and by my reckoning he could have moved elsewhere for more money but chose Gloucester because we offer other positives than the likes of Sale and Saracens could provide. I suspect he is aware of a mass clear-out, star signings aplenty and a bright future. Or maybe it was just that his girlfriend lives down the road. The Western Daily Press links us today with John Yapp who played at prop for Wales at the weekend. We also need a scary, huge, mobile, ugly - yet eco-friendly - lock forward and I favour Tom Palmer of Leeds. A new full back would be simply spiffing and some extra zip on the wings would be fine too. I wonder if Mercier will return. We need a bullying pack for him to play behind. Haydn Thomas, the Exeter scrum half, has been touted as a possible signing and, by all accounts, he is swift and clever. I doubt if he can kiss the badge on his shirt as well as Gommers though.