Tuesday, February 22, 2005

What's the buzz, cock?

Lots to buy tickets for and I must get into gear and organise myself. Top of the list are The Go-Betweens who are playing at Birmingham Academy in May. I have never seen Messrs Forster and Maclennon live and am so keen to do so this year. A new album beckons and it will be amazing as anything by The Go-Betweens always exudes utter quality and beauty. A couple of gigs at The Guildhall are, if not ’musts’, then certainly ’ought tos’ : Mick Jones and Tony James (going by the awful name Carbon/Silicon) is soonish while on All Fools’ Day The Buzzcocks hit town. I note that Steve Diggle and Pete Shelley are still going strong but my research so far doesn’t tell me whether ex-Smith Mike Joyce is still touring with the band. I anticipate a night packed with two minute gems. I’m not really one for ‘Greatest Hits’ albums but The Buzzcocks’ Singles: Going Steady ranks with the best.