Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Walk in Silence

As a young man I immersed myself in post-punk and could often be spotted sloping miserably around wearing a long mac. Radio On, ‘the definitive post-punk, long mac movie’ should, in that case, be right up my street and I look forward to watching it tomorrow at the mighty, mighty Gloucester Guildhall. This is a film, shot in monochrome (what else?), that follows a young fellow as he travels to Bristol to find out how his brother had died. It is 25 years old and has recently been revisited by the British Film Institute. It appears to be rather a bleak piece that paints a striking landscape representing the early Thatcherite era in all its murky uncertainness. Any road movie featuring Swindon has my vote. The soundtrack, featuring Low period Bowie, Kraftwerk, Lene Lovich, Ian Dury and Wreckless Eric is, by all accounts, a joy. Now where did I put my old grey mac?

Talking of soundtracks, it appears that Nathan Barley featured a bit of Gang of Four last Friday, namely the classic I Found That Essence Rare. Good taste Morris!

A small afterthought from Saturday’s triumph against Bath. I was delighted to see Oliver Morgan stood in the Shed as I walked past. This is a fine young rugby player indeed but one who always impresses with his maturity and articulate ways. He was a pleasure to chat to at the Open Day last summer and it came as no surprise to witness him among Gloucester fans nattering away quite happily. Also in the Shed was Jim Breeze, just in front of us. I wonder what he made of Gloucester’s current crop of wing three-quarters.

For purely historical purposes I must point out that today’s musings were tapped into the computer while listening to the Everything But The Girl retrospective - as opposed to ‘Greatest Hits’ - Like The Deserts Miss The Rain which is the perfect blend of the band’s early bed-sit melancholia (now, where is that old grey mac?) and more adventurous bass and drum twiddling from more recent years.